Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Vitorond 200 with riello burner Oil heat with unico gh

Customer Question

vitorond 200 with riello burner Oil heat with unico high velocity air system
Very hard for the system to get to temperature and appears to be a real oil hog.
I keep thermo stat at a range of 64-68 depending on time of day through programmable thermostats.
We had -10 degree weather and the heat across all three zones got down to 56 and didn't get to 64 over 12 hours operating through out the day.
I adjusted slope at 1.8 and shift to 3 due to my frustration with no success. Up from normally operating at 1.6 and 2.
What is the problem with this system? 12 years old, never has the house been "warm"
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, tell me please which direction you are from the center of the nearest city so that I can assess the local heating contractor availability and talent pool in the area.

You will need an onsite inspection by a local well qualified heating and air conditioning contractor (does not have to be a Viessman dealer)... then after that depending on his findings, some engineering.

So far it sounds like a range of engineering and design issues.

I am a retired mechanical engineer, and HVAC contractor for 51 years, I can help you with all of that... Depending on what you have, and what we can discover I will be able to answer your question, or if a lot of redesign is required I will submit an 'additional services offer'

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
South of Boston. 35 miles. Installer was North River Plumbing and Heating. He is no expert. I have tried to get others to inspect with very little success.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello again, if you can give me the names of the nearest town and nearest city that will save a lot of time and guess work... there are so many rivers in the area that it will be easy to find a good outfit, about 20 miles away, but 50 miles from the nearest bridge. Ruling them out as anyone I would recommend.

I need to locate someone well qualified, and within reasonable driving distance for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Duxbury, MA
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

http://www.sigmams.com/services/heating/

This is the oldest and most well rounded mechanical heating contractor in the area... they are not rated, neither is anyone else in the area.

These will have the applications engineering capability to look for errors in the design and installation. How well they do remains to be seen.

Call them on the phone, tell them exactly what you have, and ask if the can send their best hydronic heat systems man out to look over the situation and issue a report on what they think of it.

That will be step one.. it will serve as an evaluation of Sigma. and my set of eyes and ears on the job.

Lets see what they say. We can go from there accordingly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I spoke with them. They are coming Friday am around 8:30 am.Thanks.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

That will work.

Ask the man to make a rough diagram of the job on a sheet of paper with notes on what he thinks the problems might be.. tell him it is for your remote consultant. Then take a clear, close up, well focused photo of it and attach it here using the paper clip icon on the right end of the dialog box tool bar.

That will be a very good start on sorting out what your options are.

We can go from there.