Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Rick.. I have a Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler and it's not

Customer Question

Hi Rick.. I have a Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler and it's not keeping a flame after I hold down reset and light the pilot. The pilot lights but the second I release the reset button, it goes out. Any help is appreciated
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replaced the gas valve, néw thermocouple, am receiving 24 volts. Boiler was working today but wasnt heating past 62 degrees (with thermostat on 90). I went to reset it and since the pilot wont light
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Is the pilot flame strong? you gave it a minute or so to heat up before you released the button/dial?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Strong pilot flame and waited at least a minute.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

How much of the thermocouple tip is in the pilot flame? did you use any pipe dope on the thermocouple connection at the gas valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pipe dope used. About 3/4 tip is exposed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not clear on the last point. 3/4 of the tip is not in the flame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3/4 tip not in flame, sorry.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Try moving the thermo up a bit so the top 1/3 is in the flame. Do you have a multi meter that can read DC milli volts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meter reads 27 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking thermocouple may be issue... never used but has sat around in truck for a long time
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not what I asked. I asked if you a have a meter that can read mV ... milli volts

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

if not try another thermocouple

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't read milli volts.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, try another thermo

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

and/or try moving it up more into the flame but no more than 1/3 of the tip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Rick. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced thermocouple and still no-go. Will focus on position of flame and holding button longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any built-in safety measure where things need to be done in a specific sequence in order for things to work?The setting is on pilot, the emergency switch is on off, electricity is on, thermostat is on 70, red button pressed and held down while pilot is lit... button held down for another 60-90 seconds. Button released and flame shuts off.What if emergency switch is on and/or thermostat is off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There's no sequence or device that should prevent the pilot from staying lit. Replacing the gas control valve and the thermocouple should allow you to light the pilot and have it stay lit. You've given me no indication as to why it shouldn't stay lit other than possibly the position of the thermocouple in the pilot flame. The system's electrical circuits play no role in lighting the pilot and keeping it lit. I'm assuming you have a simple thermocouple (no terminal block in it or connected to it at the gas valve). I don't recall ever seeing a pilot terminal block in a 2 series boiler and I've been installing and servicing them since this model was first introduced 3 decades ago.