Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We had a brand new HVAC system installed last fall. It

Customer Question

We had a brand new HVAC system installed last fall. It consists of: Rheem gas furnace, Rheem AC and matched coil, central air filter, and Aprilaire humidifier. We had the same type of (pad-style, Aprilaire) humidifier on the air return plenum of our previous furnace and it worked very well, keeping our home air comfortably moist and stopping my nose from chronically bleeding when the heat was turned on in the winter. However, this winter my nose is bleeding again and our air is painfully dry. This morning I checked the new Honeywell thermostat and noticed that the humidity was running only 18 percent! I looked online and also in the Honeywell manual and found that the recommended humidity level is 35 to 45 percent in winter and that under 20 percent is considered too low. The Honeywell manual showed me how to adjust the "window protection" setting to a higher level to permit the unit to deliver higher humidity. The installer had set the humidity level to 35 and the "protection" level to 7. I reset the humidity level to 45 and the "protection" level to 9 and rechecked the thermostat reading 5 hours later. The humidity had only gone up 2 percentage points, from 18 to 20 percent, still very low. Recently, a roof repair technician and I were standing near the condensate pump drainage pipe last week, when he pointed out that a large amount of water was coming out of the pipe. I watched as three "pulses" of water came out of the pipe onto the drainage pad beneath . . . far more than I've ever seen drain from the unit, even in summer when the AC is on! From the symptoms described, can you suggest what might be wrong with our new humidifier? (NOTE: I was concerned when the furnace was installed that they put the humidifier on the air intake duct, before the furnace, rather than on the air return plenum, where our previous humidifier was installed. Seems to me it makes little sense to humidify the air and then run it through a gas furnace that can be expected to dry it out before again before it can be distributed to the house!) Thank you for your guidance.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the model on the humidifier?