Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I HAVE A UNIT PURCHASED IN 2014 THAT NEVER PROPERELY RAN

Customer Question

I HAVE A UNIT PURCHASED IN 2014 THAT NEVER PROPERELY RAN RIGHT. TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND HE PUT IT ON A HOSE AND IT RAN FINE. WE TOOK IT BACK RE-INSTALLED IT AND THE UNIT KEEPS GOING INTO RED LIGHT INDICATOR MODE AND NOT OPERATING
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like it is going out on head pressure not enough water flow thru condenser. does this system have a pump that pump water thru from a well or a loop system. Russ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a loop system comes right out of the water coming into the building and then drains right back out but there are no pressure valves attached just a 3/4" water line going in 3/4" water line goong out when we turn on power to the unit the green indicator light on the unit stays lit foe about 30 seconds and then turns red the unit. Never turns on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand that probably is the cause but what can be done to rectify the issue
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has a full 3/4" water line coming in to the building not on a well. could it be that it is draining the water to quickly and pressure does not have time to build up?

To make proper diagnosis gages would have to used on unit to see what the refrigerant pressures are running. I need to know what the high side pressure is doing when unit starts up. Russ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the unit never actually starts up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what if I closed off the drain and let the water fill up in the unit and then try to turn it on with that create an unsafe condition or a back pressure
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What does it have to be circulating in order for the unit unit to kick on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm a licensed master electrician and I have been installing wiring to AC units for 30 years this is the first water cooling unit I've worked on

If you can get a set of gages I can walk thru the procedure for checking pressures. Really need to know what the head pressure is doing. Does not sound like it is getting enough water flow. Can you see where the water comes out of the unit. Russ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the water outlet is connected to a hose its dumping water at the same rate that it is inputting it . this unit belongs to my cousin and I am 2000 miles away right now the last time I was there which was last month I tried to help him troubleshoot the issue. I will be going back in a few weeks. I will get a set of gages and then get back with you for guidance. do you mean a triple set of gauges with red yellow and blue hoses?

Yes You will know as soon as you install gages and start unit if it is water flow problem. Russ