Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My Honeywell thermostat is set to a" run program"from before

Customer Question

My Honeywell thermostat is set to a" run program"from before we moved in. Its been cold so I try to increase the temp and press hold but nothing happens. The screen briefly registers the higher temp them reverts back to the current low temp.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I had to change the batteries then when the system didn't work I depolarized them and now its working but with a program I have no idea how to control.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Have you tried pressing HOLD first them raise the temp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I do it the other way
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Try pressing HOLD first

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried pressing hold first and increasing the temp from 64-69 and it held at 64
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

You're probably seeing the room temp reading. Is the furnace/boiler not running now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its running
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok then it sounds like the system is responding. It varies by thermostat model but on some units the set point temp will display first when you press the up or down button.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok let me check
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the rooms seem warmer even though it reads " hold-64"
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If you pushed the temp up higher than 64 after hitting the HOLD button but it still reads 64 then you probably have a faulty thermostat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't re-program it?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

The HOLD feature isn't really programming it. But if the thermostat doesn't respond when you raise the temp setting on HOLD then it's probably defective. Programming means setting the temp lower or higher based on a time of day or day of the week. That's different than the HOLD function which sets the temp at one point all the time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can the unit tell me if its actually raised the temp? now it seems to be saying the temp is lower than it actually is
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

The only way to confirm this is to use a separate thermometer. If the thermostat isn't working right then you can't trust anything it displays. If your thermometer show a significant difference in the room temp from what the thermostat says then that's another indication of a faulty thermostat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will have to go out and get a thermometer can I reach you later?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Just come back to this thread. It won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions after you rate me favorably

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok will do
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok