gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Carrier air handler that the motor will run while

Customer Question

I have a Carrier air handler that the motor will run for a while than stop. If I let it stay off for a few hours, it will start up again. The service tech came out and said I need a new variable speed motor which costs around 1500.00. They are trying to talk me into a whole system, since this one is 9 years old. Thoughts? Also, I had a tech say he could replace variable speed motor with a single speed for around 500.00. Will that hurt my unit?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I look at the fan starting up, sometimes it jerks a few times like it is trying to start, then nothing. Other time it just starts ok. It is a Carrier FVBNF005. Could it be the module?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 9 months ago.

A new variable speed motor on line about 600.00. They priced it high so your would buy a new furnace. With your furnace just being 9 years old replace variable speed motor with Standard motor. Get another 10 years out of furnace. Will not hurt operation of furnace. Russ

If no more questions please rate. Thanks Russ