Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Between furnaces by Trane and Lennix, which models are the

Customer Question

Between furnaces by Trane and Lennix , which models are the quietest. Is it safe to hang furnace on the rafters rather place them on the platform in the attic? Are 90% plus efficient furnaces are quieter than 80% efficient furnaces?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 9 months ago.

The Trane is quieter and easier to repair than the Lennox furnace. I work on both furnaces and the Trane is easier to troubleshoot than the Lennox. Yes you can hang furnace from rafters but it is more difficult to hang the Auxilary drain pan under furnace. The 90% is much quieter than the 80% furnace. The burners are enclosed making it quieter. Russ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Train High end 96% Afue furnace has two heat exchangers. That is what I have read. Mine are going to be placed in the attic. So it means they have to have two vent pipes going out through the roof for proper ventilation of the furnace.The furnace by Trane has sealed combustion unit. How does it help? Do you prefer Furnaces to sit on a platform in the attic than hanging through the rafters?. How do installers hang the Auxillary drain pan when they hang it through the rafters.i am comparing Lennix high end SLP98v furnace with the Trane XV95 furnace. Which one is whiter out of the two?.Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You can set up some mutually convenient time that we can talk . Mine is California time. It is way too late for me to talk right now. Please write me back on this platform. Thanks.

8 am your time would be good just let me know. Russ

Installers hang the furnaces by metal straps from rafters. I prefer the furnace to set on a platform above drain pan. You only have to have one vent thru ceiling. A concentric vent can be used that has intake and exhaust in same pipe. Lennox has had problems with secondary heat exchangers in the past. Trane 90% and above have not had any problems. From a dealers standpoint the Trane has less problems than the Lennox.

If you do not have anymore questions about furnaces. Please rate answer. Good luck with your choice. Read reviews on Lennox furnace. Russ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I still have some questions . If you can please set up some mutually convenient time or you can tell me what times are best suited for you , I will write you back, what time suits me as well

Will be available anytime after 6 PM CDT this evening. Russ

On line now. If you have questions. Russ