Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a York Diamond 90 laying down sideways in my attic.

Customer Question

Hello,I have a York Diamond 90 laying down sideways in my attic. Between the cream colored Diamond 90 unit and a silver colored box with a "Refrigerant Evaporator" sticker, there is air coming out from the underneath where the two meet up. It seems excessive to lose all that AC cooled air in the summertime, is there any way to avoid this or is this normal?Some of my vents do not seem to have enough air flow coming out of them, so I closed them so most of the air comes out the 2 bedrooms occupied at night.I've taken some pictures and a small 20 second video to show how much air is coming off one side. I'm assuming the other side has a similar amount of air exiting.Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

The joint between the furnace and the Cooling Coil should be sealed with tape. Most are just screwed together without sealing joints. Silver aluminum tape works the best. This could be one of the reason you are not getting enough air. Russ

If you would attach photos be glad to look and evaluate. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are two images.here is a youtube clip to see how much a blue glove gets blown when the fan is on.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/J-bfVyt1MlE

Coil and furnace are uneven. Need to level coil and furnace. Does not look like a good seal. When you have an opening that size between coil and furnace it can actually suck air from attack into duct work. You need to seal your ducts with tape and you can buy a bucket of Mastic duct seal you can paint on seams and it will seal duct. Russ

Lowes and Home Depot sell the duct mastic sealer. You just brush it on. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to provide me the instructions for opening up the coil box, what not to do or be careful when opening it up? I've opened up the diamond unit, but never the coil box since it is sealed with aluminum tape.

Just remove aluminum tape. Should be 5/15 or 1/4 screws that hold the front on the coil. Remove screws and panels will come off . You will see a V shaped cover when you take off panel. It will be held on with screws. Remove screws and you can remove the V shaped panel by sliding it down toward furnace. This will expose the inside of coil for inspection. If it is dirty spray with water let it soak and take a nylon stool brush and clean coil. Make all strokes with the fins. I am almost positive it is dirty with gap you have in the ductwork. Russ