BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a wire on the panel to w1 and a black wire on the

Customer Question

I have a white wire on the panel to w1 and a black wire on the panel to w2. Then on the thermosrat, those wires are jumped into a "W" plug. Why? I'm installimg an ecobee3 and theres not enough room to plug both into the w2 slot.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its an old electric heat pump system... from 1986. Cant read make or model. The compressor was just replaced on the outside oart, thats a trane from 2002. Its on its way out, just need to get through the next few months
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 10 months ago.

it is because you have 2 stages heat.

If you want a single wire...just wire nut a single wire in with the 2 ends. Then attach the single end into thermostat.

The thermostat you had existing nor the ecobee are really exactly what you want for your system...so they combined the 2 stages

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i should plug them into the w1 and w2 slots as they were wired, respectively, on the ecobee3 thermostat?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there an advantage to not using both stages? I thought two was more efficient...

yes you can.

The black wire for you is actually electric back up heat. Which usually uses a thermostat with a emergency heat selection..this turns off heat pump and uses electric backup in case of heat pump fail.

when previous thermostat was installed the emergency heat became auxiliary heat (second stage only).

Being a 1986 unit...the efficiency you gain will be minimal.

basically the w1, first stage heat is heat pump...the black wire "emergency" heat was used as a second stage.

This is coming from description...but the only time we see white and black tied together is when a thermostat was installed without emergency heat option.

When you are all set just rate service at top of page and then you have 30 days of follow up available.

The question is still open, Did you need further information?