Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Are there any detailed instructions about removing and

Customer Question

are there any detailed instructions about removing and replacing the Thermo Couple from the burner end of a Unitrol Valve
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The TC is attached to a bracket which is attached to the burner of the hot water tank. How best to remove and replace the TC from the bracket
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: When I removed the burner assembly it was covered with flakes of rust I guess it was. That doesnt seem to be a good sign. Any comments? How important is it to replace the gasket around the plate w the little viewing port that holds the pilot light, TC burner etc. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

What is the model on the unit you are working on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont have the part numbers but have enclosed pics. Is this a thermo couple or thermo pile?
I think its a ROBERTSHAW GAS VALVE
See pics. Thanks

The thermocouple should either have threads or a little still clip.If threads it will screw out and if clip, it just pulls out.Can you attach a photo showing the bracket from bottom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did enclose pics in my previous :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is late here in Vancouver so I am hitting the hay. I will continue this tmorow

Sounds good. try to get a pic from below.