airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Trane xl 1200 electric heat pump TWEOE130A1 mnf

Customer Question

I have a Trane xl 1200 electric heat pump TWEOE130A1 mnf date 1/97 (On the out door heat pump the model is TWX036C100A2) When I got home the aux heat was on but fan not on. I removed the access panel and saw that the green light on control board was flickering as were the two red lights ( not flashing a code)and you hear a low hum in the flickering light area I shut of breakers on the handler unit turned back on same issue . On the thermostat I set the fan to on only, nothing happened When I put it on circulate the green light was dim for a few seconds then flashed 6 times One red light was on.The fan did rotate slowly so that part was working I tried shutting the house breakers on and off and now I cant get the circulate setting to work ,just the low flickering of the green and red lights. I hear a low hum coming from the control panel. Any Ideas what may be going on and what I can try?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

How many wires go to fan ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one connector clip has a red, a green ,and a black wire,( heavier gauge), the other connector has 14 white and 1 blue and one orange( lighter gauge) wires
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The problem is going to be either in the control board or that bell controller on end of the motor.

This is an ECM variable speed motor. Trouble shooting will require a special test meter as the motor operates on AC voltage but is controlled by DC voltage. See below:

http://i.imgur.com/J7C6DhX.jpg

Your issue is most likley the bell on the end of the motor as they are what usually fails first. See below:

http://i.imgur.com/wTdlh9a.png

However, to be sure we would want to test with this tester mentioned. If you do not have one, you can purchase online or at hvac supply house if you want to troubleshoot yourself.

See link below:

http://www.zoro.com/i/G3523405/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CjwKEAjwr6ipBRCM7oqrj6O30jUSJACff2WHitayxNbtPXz0RQYm-jOmGIQa4klwyN9osIUaZyudaRoCrHHw_wcB

Just let me know what you want to do from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks but couldn't wait so had a technician come out problem ended up being in thermostat fan wasn't receiving signal
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I understand.u may request a refund of your deposit if you would like.Should be a place on your page for this.