Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I recently was asked to check a neighbor's hot air furnace

Customer Question

I recently was asked to check a neighbor's hot air furnace which wasn't working. I found the blower motor was seized up due to lack of lubrication.
The owner took the motor to an HVAC supply store & they gave him the "equivalent" motor. It is dimensionally, power & rpm the same, but the old one was marked shaded pole with no visible cap. The new one is marked as a split capacitor. There is no visible cap. on the new motor or in the old circuit. Is the replacement a universal motor or just the wrong style? Could it have an internal cap I can't see?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 10 months ago.

The new one if PSC motor will have brown and brown white wire that goes to capacitor. Should tell you the size of cap on box. Just attach wire to capacitor. If it is 1/3 horsepower or smaller it is a 5 uf capacitor(microfarad) It should tell you size on box. Russ