airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My outside fan motor keeps running even when my trane unit

Customer Question

my outside fan motor keeps running even when my trane unit is turned off. I had to flip breaker outside to turn it off but if I turn breaker on fan comes back on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

The contactor on the outside unit is bad and the contacts are stuck closed on the contactor, you need to check and change that out. You are looking for this.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

First step in troubleshooting is going to be to determine if fan is controlled by defrost board or gets power directly from contactor.If the unit is a heat pump.most often fan is powered through defrost board.If issue is contactor, both compressor and fan should be running.Please verify and provide a model on unit so we can pull a manual and guide you in troubleshooting before you just start changing parts.