Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heater won't come on, pilot is lit, not the thermostat

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Have you tried to shut power off to the furnace for a full minute to reset the unit? Also what is the unit doing or not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to shut the power off, you mean turn it off? Oh, yeah, many times, and reset the thermostat, tried a new thermostat, not the thermostat. The pilot is lit, heater won'the start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did this at the end of last winter, but this year started right back up until 2 days ago, was windy. It is old and rusty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It froze last night I am so cold.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to jumper the R and W thermostat wires at the unit to see if it will light up to rule out a thermostat or thermostat wiring issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is not thermostat
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a picture of the board and upload it here so I can see your unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had to get fixed in person
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.