airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am installing a Nest thermostat, and I am told that it

Customer Question

I am installing a Nest thermostat, and I am told that it doesn't support my stranded copper wires so I need to replace them with solid copper 18-22 wires. How is this done? Do they have to crack open the wall? Is this a complex task? Can you please explain this to us so that we can decide if we need to hire someone to do this, and make that additional expense? Thank you in advance!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

How many wires do you currently have and what are you controlling? Stranded wires usually indicate high voltage unless it is small wire like phone cable.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello, we have 5 wires from and old thermostat. Commercial Programmable Thermostat. It controls the heat (Furnace), cooling, and fan. We are told that we need to replace the stranded wires for solid wires, and we would like to know how to do that.

OK the Nest needs solid wires so what you will need to do is pull a set of 18 gauge solid wires between durance ant thermostat.If the existing wire is not stapled to studs in wall, you can connect a new 18/6 control wire to end at furnace and pull through. If existing wire will not pull through you will have to drill new hole in top plate on wall and feed a new wire down wall to thermostat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Is pulling through something an expert can do in less than 2 hours? If there is a need to do option 2, more or less ho much work does that usually requires, weeks? days? Thanks again.

If wires will pull through less than an hour.If holes have to be drilled and new wires routed could take 2 to three hours tops.