Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

1200-I pellet insert installed Nov. 2015,used 8 mths or

Customer Question

1200-I pellet insert installed Nov. 2015,used 8 mths or less,stopped dropping pellets, and 3 out of 4 heat exchanger tubes have dropped down out of their "sockets".After reinstalling them,which only lasted a few minutes after startinng the fire,they dropped again, and the pellets again stopped dropping.Service tech waiting for a "special tool"that is not available locally,to repair i.e. put tubes back into position.
Why has this occurred,basically a new stove,and how does this relate to the lack of pellets dropping?What is this "special tool?"
Warranty implications?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I have only seen this happen one other time, and the tool that the factory sent me was a swedging tool I think, it put notches in the tube so then could not slip up or down. This should be a warranty call for sure, there should be no charge for it, and I believe this model still has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger so there should not be an issue with that. When the tubes fall out, this creates a vacuum leak in the stove, so the vacuum switch turns off the pellet feed motor. It is drawing room air through the vent system, similiar to leaving the door open slightly. Hope this helps let me know if you have further questions.

Jerry former Quad dealer for 16 yrs.