BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Lennox gh efficiency hydronic heater with a cast

Customer Question

I have a Lennox high efficiency hydronic heater with a cast aluminum exchanger. It just sprung at mid height leak 13 years. The drain hose at the bottom of the exchanger has opaque light gray water in it. The overflow from the bottom pan has etched the concrete in a weeks time. This is hydronic water, not exhaust condensation - the biocide smell is unmistakable. The piping is 1-1/2" to 3 " CI as this unit replaced a coal-fired gravity heater that was converted to gas back in the 20's. I use a sodium nitrite scavenger during fill and a combinaion amine, both through a 2" lubricator. I just removed 35 gallons and put in 8oz of amine a half hour ago. I have not checked pH for 10 years. What are my options? MIG? Drill and tap a bolt? Replace? I've been laid off from the oil field for over a year, working a low paid job now and cost is a huge factor. I can send a photo of the leak and the tech specs. The local service guys are not very good with hydronics. Consider me to be an expert on aqueous chemistry and corrosion in your reply. Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying. Once again use reply..not "rate".