Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My name is ***** ***** and I have an issue with my payne

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** and I have an issue with my payne heat pump. An issue i'm pretty sure I caused. I wanted to temporarily run a new thermostat line to change the location (room) of the t-stat. I did the splice in the air handler... I can only assume that I did not get the wires put back exactly right because it is not working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Let me know what else you'd like to know. Thank you very much for helping me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

Russ here. What is exact problem. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Howdy Russ. The problem is that I tried to run a new thermostat wire for my heat pump. I did this in the air handler and all I can imagine is that I somehow didn't hook the new wire in quite right because it does not work now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to the outside unit from the air handler I have a Blue, Red, yellow, orange, white. The blue goes to the black in the outside pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Between the t-stat and air handler I have red, yellow, orange, green, blue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the handler, yellow and orange pass through. Green from T-stat goes to gray fan wire. Blue from t-stat and outside are connected to Brown in the handler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red from the t-stat and outside are connected to red in the handler. White from outside is connected to white in the handler.

That is correct. If you have problem with low voltage you may have blown a fuse on fan board. Open panel to blower Look inside upper right board. 5 amp fuse check to see if blown. 5 amp auto type. Russ

I will behave till 10 CDT. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only saw one fuse inside the attic unit, but I'll look specifically near the blower.

This on the fan board. Yellow 5 amp fuse. It is just above where the wires that you connected thru thermostat. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I can only find one fuse, Russ... I did this though, let me know what you think... I connected the Red and Green wire, the blower started in the handler. I touched the red/orange/yellow and had clear sign of contact and the multi dropped to zero.I then went to the thermostat and turned the fan ON, and the cool ON. The System light on the Trane Weathertron Xl500 came on and the fan came on in the attic. I ran outside with a flashlight and the outside unit was lifeless, returned back in and the system light was off on the thermostat but the blower still on.I've now turned it back to Off/Auto...- Jason

Jason this is an older unit correct. Russ

Your question said Pane heat pump. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly it's probably "only 4 years old" but it was replaced shortly after we purchased the home under the "home warranty". So, it's never been a very solid unit, and I've always had my questions about his general quality.

Turn unit to emergency heat and see if it works. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nada, same result

No white wire from W2/Aux on thermostat. Russ

Send photo of wires on thermostat and wires in air handler. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understand you are done for the night soon, we can pickup later when that happens. Fortunately a nice night here.

Yes just about done here. If you have an extra wire at thermostat you can connect to X2 terminal and have emergency heat. Take it up again tomorrow. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russ, any thoughts on how to troubleshoot further?

Check to see if outside breaker is tripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Near the outside unit? I will go check...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look fine, I tripped and reset for good measure. Uploading pic of box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to open the outside unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be able to connect the red and yellow here and have the outside unit come on for cool, and also connect the orange to have it come on for heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the outside unit as shown in the pictures I mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, update. If I connect the red and yellow in the outside unit directly it comes on. If I do the same by jumping the thermostat terminals Y to R it also comes on. If I put the cover back on the thermostat and turn it to cool, the outside does NOT come on, but as I was standing by it I heard a click. Testing in the outside shows 0v between the R and O, but 28v between the R and Y.So, I can make the outside come on from the outside and from jumping at the thermostat, but turning the thermostat to cool seems to turn on the heat pump valve but not the compressor.

Ok. you bypassed thermostat by jumping wires at thermostat. Reinstalled thermostat and does not work. Bad thermostat. Need to replace it. Russ