Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My name is ***** *****
, yes i ran out of oil

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes i ran out of oil unfortunately my oil company does not deliver on weekends so i went to my local gas station and got 10 gal of diesel when bleeding the line, the oil was foamy i bled it until it was clear and then shut it off however the furnace never kicked on so i tried bleeding it again and this time, nothing is coming out of the line
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If nothing is coming out of the pump bleeder when the burner motor is running then the oil line is probably clogged. This is pretty common if you run out of oil. You can try replacing the filter and if that doesn't work you'll have to blow the oil line out under pressure. Dumping an oil additive into the tank that will help dissolve the clog is another option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well when I was bleeding the line prior to nothing coming out, I did get a soda bottle about filled with oil. So there was oil coming out. however the furnace never kicked on. so i tried bleeding it again..and that is when nothing came out.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Same answer. If no oil is coming out the line is plugged assuming the burner motor is running while you're bleeding

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can get the additive at any plumbing supply house. If you have the luxury of giving it time to work (sometimes 24 hours) that may be all you need to do. There are a variety of additives available that will dissolve sludge in an oil tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not believe that is the issue. the furnace is newer. and is maintained yearly prior to winter.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't mean the tank is new(er). There is no other explanation except perhaps the pump screen could be clogged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i remove to see if it is clogged
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need a pump gasket or it will leak when you put it back together. However this is the least likely cause. A clogged line or filter is far more likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found the solution. all i needed to do was hold the reset button for 35 seconds and the furnace kicked on. how do i request a refund
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I said several times "if the burner is running"! You never once said it wasn't. I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on. Contact customer service at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

For a refuund