gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Are you there still
, Trying to install a hunter

Customer Question

Are you there still
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trying to install a hunter programable 44860 air conditioner works but when put to heat ir blows handler fuse
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 10 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

If this wasn't happening with the old thermostat, it sounds like there may be a wire or two wired to the wrong terminal on your new Hunter stat. I'll need a little more info to help you get this corrected. Can you tell me the make and model of your old thermostat and what color wire went to what terminals on the old stat please?

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THe old thermostat was the same as the new one I am trying to install. It is a Hunter 44860. I have tried to call them and they were unable to resolve.

I will still need to make sure your thermostat is wired up right. A wire to terminal explanation will help with that. It's also possible there is two wires that are touching that shouldn't be, perhaps the wire insulation got nicked or something similar. Check the wiring carefully that the wire insulation is intact and no wires are touching that shouldn't be.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Right now the wiring is as follows Y1-yellow w2-white G-green RH-red+jumper to RC/r C-Blue O-orange e-brown. THe unit works normally in air conditioner mode but whe switched to heat it blows the air handler fuse. THe unit is a Trane XE1000

That all sounds correct although I can't be sure what that brown wire on E is all about but that may be ok too. So this is exactly how the old Hunter was wired and it worked ok until the thermostat failed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked all the wires for damage and the connections seem tight. I opened the air handler electric panel and inspected the wires out there. Unless its in the wall the wires look good to me. I cant smell anything that would indicate a short or burning
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The brown wire is connected to terminal labeled emergency heat. Down to one fuse and will have to get more
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 10 months ago.

Remove brown from E and just put a jumper to W@ to E. Tape off brown and retry. Russ

I am Sorry E to W2 terminal tape off brown, Russ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, your instructions had W@, I assume that is w2 which already has the white wire connected right

You will need a jumper fromW2 to E after you remove the brown wire for emergency heat to work. Russ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did try your suggestion and removed brown wire and jumped W2 to E. Good news no blown fuse, bad news, neither handler or heat pump engaged. I also tried disconnecting white, green, and red wires and wire nutting them together. Same results. Completely confused now