airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Goodman gmp 125-5. Intermittant code 1, ignitor and

Customer Question

Hi, Goodman gmp 125-5. Intermittant code 1, ignitor and thermostat have been replaced
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

Do you se legend on furnace for the 1 blink error? Al I am seeing is the 2 blink for pressure switch closed. 3 blinks pressure switch open and 4 blinks for limit

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1 is three times failed to light , locked out

OK lets turn power off to reset board and then call for heat.Let me know how far in this sequnce it goes and if we get a different code on first failure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is starting up fine, has been intermittant for a week. I have sat with it repeated times have never had it kick the code while I am there, what it will do is take two attempts, first time ignitor short cycles ignitor will glow for about 10 seconds and then shut down, secound attempt it will come to full glow and furnace will light.

Lets try cleaning the flame sensor and see if that helps. Here is a generic video that will give you an idea of hoe to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwR9qL4lnk

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced flame sensor yesterday

May be an ignitor going bad.Can you see any marks on it and do you have an ohm meter to ohm it out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
miss spoke , I replaced ignitor yesterday. The furnace is not getting that far when it fails, the ignitor is short cycling before it starts.

So when it fails, burners do not light and go back out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
correct, ignitor starts to glow just gets orange , then shuts down, short on time, no gas flow yet

Test the plug to igniter and see if the 120 volts is dropping out prematurely to igniter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is intermittant and is not doing it right now, when it does it , the control board clicks as it does when it goes thru each part of the process. I am thinking a possible weak driver in control panel? It is a hard one to find because I can't make it fail on command.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when it is working it has 110 at ignitor

When the igniter dies out are we losing the voltage or is voltage staying there, just ignitor dies out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
voltage dies out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
time is flying, I am going back to furnace to see if I can create concern, can I get back with you in 20 min or will there be a charge?

I also have to leave for awhile,Lets see if we can determine why voltage is cutting out.Perhaps pressure switch is losing vacuum.I will check in when I get back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i was just playing with vacuem switch and line , no cracks or moisture, it does seem to happen after furnace has been off for a while, I am going to let it sit for an hour.

I will be in and out so I will check on what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do you see much control panel failure causing intermittant problems like this. I am headed out for several hrs, and will recheck in.

Yes. I hate just throwing out control board but erratic behaviour is very characteristic of a failing board.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning, it has not acted up in 12 hrs, maybe just maybe, a soft vacuem hose may have been collapsing, only time will tell. Intermittent problems in the service industry are such a problem if you don't want to throw parts at the problem.
Well thanks for your help, wish me luck.
Nick

Good luck .Thanks for allowing me to work with you.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate my service please select one of the rating stars on this page.