Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My name is ***** *****. I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier. I have the humidity level set in the '3' to '4' range on the humidistat controller (an Aprilaire 56 humidistat controller) and the solenoid makes a clicking/banging sound when the furnace runs (sounds like a mad squirrel beating the ductwork with a little hammer). However, the solenoid clicks on and water flows when the humidistat controller is set to test mode. I have no idea what is causing the clicking/banging and no water flowing problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier. I have the humidity level set in the '3' to '4' range on the humidistat controller (an Aprilaire 56 humidistat controller) and the solenoid makes a clicking/banging sound when the furnace runs (sounds like a mad squirrel beating the ductwork with a little hammer). However, the solenoid clicks on and water flows when the humidistat controller is set to test mode. I have no idea what is causing the clicking/banging and no water flowing problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

The banging could be caused by some blockage in the line to the water panel, possibly a plugged orifice or a bad solenoid. It is interesting, though, that it seems to be OK in the test mode. This could be more of a controller problem, then.