Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an Aprilaire Model 8476. This morning, as I walked

Customer Question

I have an Aprilaire Model 8476. This morning, as I walked towards the unit to adjust the temperature, I zapped it with static electricity. The display froze. None of the buttons worked. I removed the batteries. I checked them with a battery tester. The batteries are good. I replaced the batteries. I hit the reset button. The display came on momentarily and then went off. The screen is blank. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Which control do you have? The manual control or compensating control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an Apilaire Model 8476 Thermostat with Event Based Air Cleaning
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I got the humdifier model, but am wondering about the humidistat (the control).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer makes no sense. I do not have a humidifier model. Please be honest with me. Do you know what you're doing or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting an answer regarding my Aprilaire Model 8476 Thermostat. Please cancel the charges to my credit card account of $28. Your service is not helping me at all and is too slow.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I misread your question. I see you have an Aprilaire thermostat. Since Aprilaire makes humidifiers as well, I thought we were talking about a humidifier. So, display is blank, correct? It's possible that you may have fried the board in it, but lets try some things first. Since furnace provides power to the thermostat, have you checked to see if furnace has power? Blower door on tight? Power switch on? Also, may want to check low voltage fuse on furnace board to see if it is blown.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are incorrect. The thermostat is strictly battery powered. The furnace does not provide power to the thermostat. I do not believe you understand the situation.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I see you just want to argue, so will opt out and open to other experts. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine. I am not satisfied with your service and want a full refund. Thank you.