Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Advantage Repair
90277609

I have a 1 year old Tempstat... I have a 1 year old Tempstat

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat...
Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat furnace. 95 percent efficiency. The blower comes on but does not turn on the gas. The magic led flashes one short snd two long. Status code says: blower on after power up.
The igniter does not come on. The main blower comes on when connecting the R and W contacts going to the thermostat
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
23 January 2016 10:30
Hello. I have a 1 year old...
Hello. I have a 1 year old Tempstat...
and after a short time stops and nothing is happening.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. I am Kevin, one of the Tech's here on JA.

If your available to troubleshoot I think we can try to solve your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Kcrand36. It is a nice name.
I have a 1 year old Tempstat furnace. 95 percent efficiency. The blower comes on but does not turn on the gas. The magic led flashes one short and two long. Status code says: blower on after power up. After disconnecting the power to the furnace sometime it shows also another code. Two long flashes which would meanblower on after power up.
The igniter does not come on. The main blower comes on when connecting the R and W contacts going to the thermostat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way. tempstat model# ***** 1 STAGE FURNACE
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

when you say "blower motor" you are describing the small motor in the burner compartment, to remove the flue gas from the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is not the small fan that I think is called inducer fan but the big blower. The small fan does not come on at all
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

If your big "blower or circulating fan" does not run, then we need to address this problem, this would cause the "high limit" to open (do it's primary function) and not allow the furnace to over heat.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

If your inducer motor does not run, then we need to go in that direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the big blower fan comes on but only for a minute or so and than nothing is happening
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

do you have a "fan on" switch on the thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also removed the combustion vent pipe to make sure that it is not a problem. with the front cover open the would be no problem with air intake as well
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm talking only your blower motor now, the motor that circulates the heat or air conditioning into the room. If that motor does not operate properly, it will shut off the furnace. We need to determine if only this motor operates properly first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to rule out the thermostat I disconnect the thermostat and connect the R and W contacts
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

try connecting the R and G contact. Tell me what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hell. I am not at the house right now. Can you tell me a few trubleshuting options so when I get there in a couple hours I can check?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I may be here in a couple of hours, I would rather chat with you and give you the directions other then waste each others time.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm all about safety first.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try to reach you later. Do you keep all info for your members. Will I have to explain everything all over again? how can I reach you Kevin?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

my username is ***** ***** I should be here. I have paperwork to do all day today, unless I have to go out on emergency call. Our entire conversation is always saved, so that if I am not here, there are others that can help, and see what we have tried so far. So you can always feel confident that we are addressing your question with a good "game plan"..... only because it's "football day" right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Kevin. I am back at the furnace.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, I'm here, let's see if we can figure it out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected R and G contacts, thermostat disconnected, main fan is on, code status heart beat dimm and flash, small fan does not come on, the flame igniter does not come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also checked the small pvc drain pipe it is ok,
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok so your saying the vent motor does not come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vent motor does not come on, I checked if there is any voltage coming in, no voltage
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

we need to test the voltage (120V) going to the draft inducer motor. reset the system, turning off then on, allow to go through maybe a 3 minute cycle and see if you get a 120V.........

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

if at any point you receive a 120V potential, wires are still connected to motor, then you have bad motor, you must start here for diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not call me. I pressed my mouse by mistake. so shall I disconnect the inducer wires or have them connected while checking?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

if you can get the probes firmly seated into the connections to the draft motor that should be good. if it does not work the first time, I would tes by disconnecting the motor and placing the probes into the motor leads and retesting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just check the inducer motor it is working
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, now move on to the next step............

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, we have a call for heat, we have the thermostat calling for heat? inducer motor is running, I did not ask, but is this a rental or owner occupied unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
occupied
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

is the gas turned on...... I know this maybe a stupid question but you need to start at the beginning?.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on, not a stupid question
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

lp or natural gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
natural
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, gas is on, thermostat is calling for "heat". then the furnace should be operating. what is happening on the furnace? on a call for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it is working. Basically I did not do anything, just checked some things. What could be the problem? If it does the same thing again?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

the problem is we need to know why the system did not heat. The system may produce a error code, but may have been cleared by so many consecutive successful cycles. You may need to let the system go to produce the error again. At the point of the error, we maybe able to diagnose the failed component if any. It may have been just a fluke. Either way, the heat is running and that is the goal. If the problem returns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Please leave a rating for the service you have received. If you don' t feel you have been satisfied, please contact me first before leaving a negative rating. Thank you

Kevin

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

has your question been resolved?