Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Rick. My name is ***** *****. I have an Olsen Furnace with a

Customer Question

Customer: Hello Rick. My name is ***** *****. I have an Olsen Furnace with a Beckett R7184B Primary Control. Plenty of fuel, new air filter, new oil filter cartridge. When it reaches the set temperature, when the thermostat starts to cycle on again, the control goes into lockout. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The green light is usually just flashes that it is in lockout. Press the red button and light goes off then press the button again and it fires back up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Does the burner fire up then lock out or not fire and lock out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rick, it has done both. it seems to be more frequent on the side that it doesn't fire then locks out. When we are not home or overnight and the thermostat calls for heat, but nothing happens and the temperature drops into the low 60's or high 50's when it is set at 68.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like your burner needs a tune up if it doesn't fire up when it should. If it locks out when it is firing then you could have a bad/dirty cad cell (electric eye) or cad cell socket since this would indicate the control isn't seeing the fire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an easy way to clean or check the cad cell?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Just turn off the power and release the 2 screws at the front of the burner transformer. Then swing the transformer back on its hinge. The cad cell is under the transformer. It's plugged into a socket that has 2 yellow wires. Make sure the glass end is clean. That's they only easy thing you can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will give that a try. Thank You!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome