HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Carrier 5a fuse on hybrid 48z unit. Blew again after a few

Customer Question

Carrier 5a fuse blown on hybrid 48z unit. Blew again after a few hours. Replaced with 7.5a and ran for 5 hours and 3 calls for heat then blew. .is it a relay that needs replaced? If so, What part #? Or would 10a fuse be within SF of design to not cause damage?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

You have a short in the low voltage wiring somewhere. You have a wire that might have rubbed through to ground or another wire. I would check the thermostat wires carefully. If they are all good the main contactor relay could be drawing too much current. I would not put a higher amp fuse in it or you will melt a wire.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks