Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Bob,
, I have a Nordyne furnace with a pressure switch

Customer Question

Customer: Bob,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Nordyne furnace with a pressure switch open inducer on alert. I checked the flue, the rubber hose to the pressure switch and when I took the hose off to see if I was getting pressure/vacuum from the inducer motor there didn't seem to be either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: It's 4 degrees out and we're heating the house with a gas fireplace right now. I have no problem with the $18 fee.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

So you checked where the vent terminates and it's not blocked? If so you could have a bad switch or a weak fan. You probably wouldn't feel the draft since it's very low pressure. Did you check the port where the hose connects to the furnace? You can poke a paper clip in there (not the switch side) to try and clear a blockage there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rick,That did it. I tried using a small nail before but the paperclip went in further so that's where the blockage was. Do you have any tips for routine maintenance that would keep this issue from happening? It seems it does it at least once a year.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Just clear out that port and check the exhaust vent before the start of the heating season since insects even birds often build nests in a seasonally unused vent. And of course change the filter regularly

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome