airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a York YZH and an internal air handler with 3

Customer Question

I have a York YZH and an internal air handler with 3 electric heat elements. 2 of the 3 heat elements work fine but the third doesn't come on. My heating company replaced the sequencer. The heat relay now comes on if they switch cables around. But we don't get a signal on the W1 pin. Only on W2 so that explains why only 2 of the three elements are on. We followed the W1 cable out to the outside heatpump defrost board. It's not turned on there either.
What I also noticed is that the power draw fluctuates quite a bit between 15, 10, and 5 KW. A year ago it was running quite constant with 10KW and only after running 15 to 20 minutes it started to fluctuate a bit down to 15 KW.
The reason we noticed all of this is since the Furnace cannot heat the house above 65 degrees if it's below 20 outside. A year ago even at 5 degrees outside the heat came on for 15 minutes and the temperature in the house started to go up. So something is different between now and a year ago.
Could you give me some idea what to check next? Did you see this before? I'm not planning to fix this myself but let my heating company do it. But they don't have enough experience to trouble-shoot York heat pumps. They don't service many of them.
Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

1. I will need complete model on indoor and outdoor units and thermostat to be able to take a look at wiring.

2. If thermostat has 2 terminals for backup heat we need wires connected to both.If not we need a wire from the aux to all elements. Wire from outdoor should also connect to all elements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My local company fixed the issue by replacing the defrost board and jumpering W1 and W2. Based on your questions you didn't see this issue before either and you would have gone into normal trouble shooting mode like everyone else. I also had the model in the initial text. York YZH is the model. The wiring has to be correct since it worked before. With incorrect wiring it would have never worked.Rainer
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Glad you were able to get this fixed Rainer.The majority of the issues you mentioned referred to the heating elements and sequencer which are in the the indoor unit, rater than the outdoor is why I wanted complete model on indoor.The AV was not sufficient to pull a manual on air handler.Sounds like the W1 and W2 had not been connected as I mentioned they had to be "If thermostat has 2 terminals for backup heat we need wires connected to both.If not we need a wire from the aux to all elements. Wire from outdoor should also connect to all elements." I am sure we would have figured this out together.

Glad you got it working though. As long as you do not rate answer and close the question I can request a refund if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. This jumper has to be removed again since the outside unit will turn on W1 and/or W2 as needed. It's just a work around for right now to get the 4th heat element going while it's so cold. Since we have now more time (the house is warm again) my local company will call York directly to figure out why W1 is not turned on by the outside board. Either way, you can close this case. I'm happy where it is right now.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I understand. I will post a rating button .If you are happy with paying what you agreed to leave rating of three or higher and we are done unless you need me further which will allow 30 days of follow up. Until I request a refund or you rate, the question will just stay on the board as unresolved.Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied