BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a PTH153B50AM that stopped heating. I 't know if the

Customer Question

I have a PTH153B50AM that stopped heating. I don't know if the cooling is still working but the fan comes on and I have reset it to factory settings and pushed the manual reset buttons on the heating coils. there was no indication of failure just did not heat up yesterday.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still interested in getting an answer, since I have already paid. I did schedule an appointment with Sears Home Repair for Wednesday but I definitely want to know what you think. My unit is a wall unit, like the ones in hotels. It is a combo AC/heater. It just stopped heating yesterday. I have reset it as per the manual and have manually reset the heating coils as per manual. Also rest the GFI. What do you think?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

OK, does the unit run/blow air, but no heat?

Or does the unit not respond at all in heat?

Does it work in cool function?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan runs but no hot air. I don't know if the cooling is working, it is pretty cold here so I can't tell. It was cooling fine this summer and it was heating fine until Moday. No bang, smoke or power outage, just no heat when turned on Monday morning.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

We dont want cooling obviously but I wanted to test the reverse valve. This is what determines heat or cool.

Sometimes we can switch from cool to heat and back a few times and it will jog the reverse valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I am not familiar with that procedure. Would I just try to start the cool side by pushing the "cool" button, let it run a bit then shut it down and push the "heat" button?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

that is correct...and in the event the blower runs but not ac compressor we are getting into a defect in the 220v circuit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy, are you still out there? It is 8:15AM here and I am home. Right now the unit is running in the "FP" mode (freeze protect?) and I can't change it until that clears. I did reset the 220 breaker in the basement but the "FP" status returned immediately. It is about 20 degrees outside so this may run for a bit. Once the FP clears I will try to jiggle the heat/cool states. Please respond when you get this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Billy, I tried to start the "cool" side but nothing happened. The cool light lit, I could only set the thermostat down to 60 and nothing happened. The blower did not come on or anything. I shut it off and pushed the heat and the blower came on. Then I tried toggleing when it was running. The thermostat switched between 68 and 74 and there was a switching sound from inside but still no heat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, while toggleing the fan indicator whet from "auto" (cool) to "low" (heat).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch sound sounds like it is coming from behind the info panel not deep inside the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Info panel= logic board
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyone out there monitoring this discussion? It is now 2:30PM and I have had to go to work. If there is anyone out there monitoring this please respond to my earlier posts to Billy.