airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am in a new single family house in Chicago where the temps

Customer Question

I am in a new single family house in Chicago where the temps are VERY cold. The gas fireplace that the builder put in is a Monesan Model 500SBVNSC. It is a natural gas fireplace. Only problem is that cold air is blasting in from the flue when fireplace is not in use (which it is not, most of the time because I have two little toddlers). The other (different model/brand) in the house has a damper which allows us to stay warm without cold air blasting in. Can a damper be installed in this fireplace? I cannot fathom that they make a fireplace for a cold climate without a damper to seal the flue. Can you please advise. And if so, what part do I need? Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is there not an automatic damper on top of fireplace where vent connects? Most of these gas fireplaces do not have a manual damper due to safety reasons, but have a flap damper that opens by the rise of heat. See below.