airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Billy,
, the unit runs 20 seconds and the kicks out. i

Customer Question

Customer: Billy,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the unit runs for abou 20 seconds and the kicks out. i saw in a another acticle that said that it was the secondary heat exchanger. is this hard to fix or clean. Or shoul I buy a new one. The furnace is from 1991
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What is the brand and model of your unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Carrier weather maker sxi 585 k8060 66 13168
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1991
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The Carrier 58SX series only had a 10 year het exchanger warranty.The units actually had a factory recall because of the heat exchangers.This of course has long passed as far as receiving any benefits. See link:

http://www.omaha-home-inspection.com/carrier-settlement-on-high-efficiency-furnaces.pdf

Even the ones with no defects were good for about 10 to 12 years. So at 25 years the best and probably only solution is going to be to replace the furnace if the heat exchanger is defect and it probably is.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.