airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Chip The ignitor lights up on my furnace but the gas never

Customer Question

Customer: Chip The ignitor lights up on my furnace but the gas never flow.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: York Diamond 80, ignitor lights up but the gas never flows
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The gas valve and the thermocouple has been replaced, still can't get gas to flow.
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

Are you getting 24 volts to the gas valve when igniter lights and do you hear valve click?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know how to test if I am getting 24 volts. I don't think I am hearing a click...would it be a distinct click?

New valve click may not be real loud. Do you have a multi meter for checking voltage?

We would need a meter to troubleshoot. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to check if I still have a multi meter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a meter

Let me know and tell me if you have only 2 terminals on valve or if more than two terminals I will need complete model on furnace to see which terminals we want to check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
York model # *****

You should just have 2 terminals on valve.Set meter to lowest AC volt setting above 24 (probably 200) put one lead on each terminal and lets see if we get voltage to valve when igniter lights.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This will take a bit I have to go to the attic

Let me know what you find and we wil go from here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry, had to get a battery for meter, I will test now

No problem

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to check the voltage with the unit running and when I touched the terminals with the leads it ignited. I cycled it again and it lit no problem

Ahh maybe just bad connections on valve,Make sure they are clean and tight and see if it continues to work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks!

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified