Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a u-line ice maker and it keeps creating an iceberg

Customer Question

I have a u-line ice maker and it keeps creating an iceberg block that doesn't drop and causes ice to not be made. I have run throughout cleaning cycle twice. Any other suggestions what would keep causing this? Thanks! Also, I lowered the setting for ice thickness too and still blocks up.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi let me see if I can help... can you provide a model number?

It sounds like your ice thickness sensor is not working... but until I get a model number to see a schematic I really cant help you.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3018clrs
Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

ok per the manual "Ice thickness adjustment should only be made one increment at a time. Allow ice maker production to stabilize for 24 hours before rechecking ice thickness"

The ice cube thickness is factory set for best overall performance. The factory setting “0” is designed to maintain an ice bridge of approximately 1/16" to 1/8" (1.6 mm to 3.2 mm) under normal conditions, resulting in a dimple of approximately 1/4" to 1/2" (6.4 mm to 12.7 mm) in depth. A fuller cube with less of a dimple results in a thicker ice bridge. As the ice bridge thickens, the tendency for the cubes to stay together as a slab increases. A bridge thicker than 1/8" (3.2 mm) may cause cubes to overfill the ice bucket.

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

I'm searching for a wiring schematic... if you follow the manual.. and the unit still overproduces ice... there is the ice thickness sensor and the control board to consider....

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

try the 24 hour guidelines and I will see about the schematic...

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it has made ice and produced a full bin but not consistently and eventually blocks up to where the ice won't drop anymore because an ice block forms and won't drop do it stops producing ice because the block is so thick it can't drop.
Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

ok... let me understand.... the ice that is made..... is it consistent in size and thickness...?

if it is... then the ice block forms when the unit wont read the bin being full....

if it is not of consistent size and thickness then we have an ice thickness sensor fault...

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

​I have been everywhere I know to go... I cannot locate a service manual... I have the operators manual..

If you have adjusted the ice thickness to the lowest setting and the unit still creates the block then you will need to contact a service agent to repair the unit. Unless you know where to get parts and how to replace them.
Thank you for using Just Answer..Phillip