HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My goodman furnace
, it is a gh efficiency furnace. It

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my goodman furnace
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is a high efficiency furnace. It did this the other day also. I found it getting really chilly in my house. I looked and my digital thermostat said heat running but the furnace wasn't doing anything i turned the safety/power switch off and left it off for a few seconds and turned it back on the furnace then came on and was fine for a couple or days tonight the same thing I had it set at 68 and it dropped to 63 once again I went in there shut the power switch off and back on and then the furnace came on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: do I have to post online or do I chat with you directly
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Have you replaced the batteries in your thermostat, they may be low and that often causes that issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I sure have. I just put them in (alkaline) less than a month ago and put new ones in again tonight

OK do you have a pin connection style thermostat, meaning when you take the head off it has pins that contact to the base?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The thermostat wasnt a cheap one and its fairly new maybe 2 years old or so a Hunter brand

OK often the small pins get a little dirty or the tabs where they connect and slide in the base do not make good contact. I recommend taking off the head cleaning the pins with some fine sandpaper and carefully bend the lot tabs where the pins slide in together tighter so they make better contact with the pins and try it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will do that tomorrow thank you. I'm wondering why it came on when I shut the power to the furnace off and back on. Would that have anything to do with the thermostat??

Yes sometimes you are moving the thermostat and those pins making the connection when turning it on and off. This happens a lot with that style thermostat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I'm confused. So the power switch to my furnace causes the pins on the thermostat to function?

No I thought you meant the switch on the thermostat, if you cycled the main power switch you may have had an error on the furnace board flashing and then you would have reset it. If it happens again take the panels off the furnace and check for any flashing error on the furnace control board, they are listed on the panel to identify an error if flashing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this happened a few days ago also and then i cycled the main switch to the furnace off and back on and it worked fine for 2-3 days and then it started acting up again tonight. Would a dirty flame sensor cause these issues?

Yes a dirty flame sensor would be a good thing to clean off with some sand paper as well and then see what happens the key is to not shut the power off when it happens as you want to see the error.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a goodman furnace can i see the error without taking the whole side panel off?

You just need to remove the panel to get at the board should be just two screws and it should lift off.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the furnace continues to do this will it cause further problems/long term issues or can I give it a few days and see what happens. perhaps I should call someone local out to look at it

Give it a few days and see what happens it will not hurt anything, if you can get at and clean off the flame sensor I would do that anyways as that is a common failure on the Goodman units as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate your time but don't feel I was given any more info than I already knew.

Seriously? It is 1:33am do you work for free at 1:33am at your job? Probably not, you probably get double time. Take care customers like you make me appreciate the good ones.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow. Nobody said I expected you to work for free and I never said I wasn't going to pay. You said you would like to know before leaving feedback so I was just doing as you asked.

Take care I wish you the best