Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My name is ***** ***** Staab and live in Northfield, MN. I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Staab and live in Northfield, MN. I have a 'Kozy Heat' natural gas fireplace that has a tag on the inside saying Warnock Hersey, Model #56101...It also says WINDOM...I was trying to find a manual on this but got confused when I saw all the choices... The problem I'm having is that it is shutting off by itself, usually a short time after reducing the flame... A service man from Better Air (in Dundas, MN) was out the other day and indicatd the thermopile was bad..He had a hard time getting it out but finally did and replaced it. It worked for about 15 minutes after he left, and has continued the same pattern since then. When it goes out, the pilot goes out as well. It takes many tries to get it restarted..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean by more details.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How log would 'a bit' be ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

this sounds more like the oxygen sensor is tripping. The vent pipe to out side...it is a pipe inside a pipe....the center pipe exhausts gasses...the outer pipe area between the 2 pipes draws air in for the flame...if the hollow area around the center pipe gets plugged, nest, sealed etc....it blocks air for the burner....and the result is shut down. Can you remove the vent cover outside and check that hollow area around center pipe?