Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I am trying to install new Nest thermastat. Nest Pro help

Customer Question

I am trying to install new Nest thermastat . Nest Pro help thinks I need to modify .wirering.Any help is appreciated .
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

What is Nest support saying you need to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
contact carrier expert for guidance
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Where are you having problems with the wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i remove carrier thermostat and install Nest 3 thermostat wired as instructed or as some experts recommended (switch blower connector to common connector )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
furnace does not respond
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Tell me exactly how you have it wired, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tim this is a customers install and i cant spend any more money so i cant give you more money for a phone conversation what i need is the modified wiring description or circuit modifi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im only getting 50 for the install
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand. But I need to know exactly how you have it wired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
y1-yellow w1-white rh-red g-green
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The y1 and w 1 sound right as well as the red to R-RH. You need a common. The way to do this is to take the green wire and move it to C or COM at both the board and the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also tried c-green
as per nest pro instructions all wires are labelled before removal and installed same
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

green wire needs to be moved to C or common at both stat and furnace board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have thermostat install skills and have heard some systems are difficult to change over to nest and because of cost should be passes by but i need to get this job up and running for future opps with this customer
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand. So have you moved green wire to C at stat and C or COM at furnace board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try green to common again but i got a fan pulsing on and off after furnace shut off the board is connected to thermostat by means of a gang plug there is board connections avail
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, tell me what is the make and full model number of furnace? Also, if you can upload some pics, that would be helpful. There is a $28 charge for this question, just so you know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think i need to add 1 wire so that fan control wire and com wire are there
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Possibly. But first can you get me the information I asked for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model number is ***** CARRIER INFINITY FURNACE AND THERMOSTST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THE $28 ADDITIONAL
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The $28 is the standard charge for your question. If you wanted a phone call that would be additional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COOL
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I show this as what your board should look like:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

So not understanding why you are having trouble moving the green wire? The terminals are clearly labeled on the board. Perhaps I am not understaning something?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE THERMOSTAT WIRES PLUG IN TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION (A , B , C , D , ) HARNESS PLUG
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have a communicating thermostat before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO I INSTALL ALL 4 WIRES INTO REMOTE SCREW TYPE TERMINALS
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE INFINITY THERM AND IS A PROGRAMMABLE TYPE WITH MULTI SPEED FAN CONTROLS - YOU CAN ALSO RUN FAN BY ITS SELF
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, take the thermostat wires off the ABCD terminal and transfer red to R terminal, white to W1, yellow to Y1, and green wire to C or COM at board and C at stat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ILL GIVE THIS A TRY WHEN I RETURN TO SITE ,THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WAS LOOKING FOR MORE OF A - (SEEN THIS BEFORE ON THIS MOD , HERE DO THIS)
HOPE I DONT SMOKE THE BOARD ITS ONLY 24VAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The problem is you are going from a communicating thermostat setup to a standard thermostat setup. So that's why it's not working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GOOD BYE
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Post back after everything is done and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL DO
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.