Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a Payne Furnace, Model 394 JAZ 48080, that does not

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Payne Furnace, Model 394 JAZ 48080, that does not provide gas to the burner even though the igniter is firing and the pilot is also lit...could it be the gas valve is inoperative. Background: Replace new
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, maybe too much history, but I will leave that for you to decide. A
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Willing to wait, however, I had not quite finished with the description of the problem. A technician had already visited and diagnosed the problem to be a defective circuit board. Ordered, replaced with no change to original problem. Ignitor is firing with pilot lite, so again, I wondering if it is the gas valve or what other checks do I need to do to identify the problem??
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In responding to prompts and entering a new password, I entered my credit card info, but was given a security alert
that I was not on a secure website and to abandon the site for security reasons. I attempted to acquire a reconnection
and was unsuccessful. It appears that my transaction may have been processed without completing the necessary info
to resolve my problem. I had entered my email address:***@******.*** with my phone:(###) ###-####and
would like confirmation as to my status before moving forward. Ed Jones
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 10 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help. The two most common failure items for your furnace and with those symptoms are the pilot bi-metal switch (pilot must be replaced) and the gas valve (holding coil goes bad). It requires an volt/ohm meter to find out which has gone bad. To me this sounds more like the pilot switch. Click Here for a source for the OEM pilot switch. Click Here for a source for the OEM gas valve. Please know neither of these repairs are an easy repair.

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian

Edit: I am just a tech here and have no access to the accounting side of things.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brian, I just completed questions that I had, but made the mistake of going to the parts source link which wiped out everything that I had written. Unfortunately, after getting your reply I had to make a trip and unable to return until too late to proceed. After checking probable parts that have failed and seeing the price, I would want to isolate the problem to one or
the other....hopefully the lesser expensive one. Also would appreciate any comment/suggestions on doing any thermocouple
check on the pilot switch since the igniter and pilot are functioning....I'm assuming that the thermocouple circuit is not closing after reaching required temperature. With regard to the gas valve....any resistance or other checks that I could make to verify or isolate the problem within the gas valve assembly?? I know you like to hear these type of remarks....I am a long time DIY guy with a fair amount of electrical experience including doing bubble and/or sniffer checks on a Delta rocket....but that has been awhile....now 85 and counting so with this, I will close. Thanking you in advance, Ed Jones
P.S. Will follow-up tomorrow A.M. to view any comments and proceed from there. Oh, almost forgot...any advise on replace ment of the gas valve or the kit option offered by the parts source shown in the link on same?

Hi Ed, Ok, your furnace doesn't actually use a "thermocouple". It uses a bi-metallic switch in the pilot burner to send permission to the gas valve to open the main gas valve. Click Here for a picture file of the wiring diagram for your furnace that I have annotated with help comments. You don't need to sign up for Drop Box to view it, just click the view file now button at the bottom. I hope this helps you diagnose your furnace. Note: you will need a volt/ohm meter to diagnose it. Let me know how it turns out! Please don't forget to rate your service with me when done.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. you may need to zoom in on the picture, it is a little small :)