Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Thank you, the unit will not fire, yet the the pilot is on

Customer Question

Customer: thank you, ***** ***** will not fire, yet the the pilot is on and the pump. My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This system has 2 zones/ model m205nclge12
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Is this a Burnham boiler? Is the pilot lit all the time or do you have electronic ignition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pilot lite on all the time
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first thing to check is the blocked vent switch (see attached pic)which is attached to the bottom of the bell shaped draft diverter. Push the small button between the 2 wires. If it clicks you have reset it and the burner will fire up with any luck. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped. If that doesn't work I need to know if the motorized vent damper (which is above the bell on the vent) is open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and nothing happened
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Is the damper open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to bypass this to test it..
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Please answer the question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on my way to the job and will pay you more money when I get to it , so I am hands on with the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need a number to call you, and
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

A call is an additional charge and I have to step away for about an hour soon. If the damper isn't open and the pump is running (assuming 1 pump) then the damper is suspect. If the damper is open try jumping out the rollout sensor just above and outside the burner chamber. If that doesn't start it up then the damper end switch is suspect. Either way, damper not open or open and no fire the damper needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Go for an aftermarket damper if you have the option since an OEM damper is twice the money.

If you still need a call then let me know and I'll call when I get back.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

One other thing to check is the aquastat/limit. Jump the leads on the limit if the damper isn't open. If the damper opens then the limit is suspect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have given up on this system as I changed the damper and ,the new damper opened 1 time and the pump and all other things stopped working at all.Now the new damper does not even do anything and
I put my 110 tester on the leads and it lit up the tester
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What is the brand and model of your boiler?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
burnham
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't get the 110 voltage reference. The damper is 24 volts. Sounds like you might have a thermostat or thermostat wiring problem. Try jumping the thermostat leads at the transformer (R & G or P & G depending on the age of the boiler)