Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a few questions regarding HVAC system 1 - What is the

Customer Question

I have a few questions regarding HVAC system
1 - What is the best method to hang a furnace with ac coil from inside a drop ceiling? What hardware should be used?
2- What mount is best for the compressors on the roof?
3 - I have a 60 foot gas run to other end of my office feeding 3 different furnace which have 1/2inch gas inlet. What size should the main pipe be and the one that feeds the furnace?
4 - During the installation process of a split system gas heat and ac what are thekey things to do to have a successful installation with least amount of problems?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

To answer your questions, in a drop ceiling, you would probably want to mount the furnace horizontally. This is done, typically, with strut material (see here) and threaded rod coming from the ceiling.The condenser on the roof is typically just set on a plastic pad with the right dimensions for that particular condenser. As far as the gas line, with 3 furnaces, I would run 1-1/4 inch gas line as the main line feeding the furnaces. You can then reduce down when you get to each furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you hang the furnace with strut material this will be a pri***** *****d. Is it normal practice to have a secondary hand?

What would happen if a 1 inch pipe was used as the main line?

During the installation process of a split system gas heat and ac what are the key things to do to have a successful installation with least amount of problems?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. You could run 1 inch pipe, but may have trouble during cold weather when all three units run at the same time. May not have proper pressure.

As far as installation, it is a very important part of the process. Make sure on the air conditioning part that the system is properly evacuated and that all air and moisture is taken out. Use a filter-dryer in the liquid line. On the furnace part, the best advice I can offer is follow the installation manual to the T. This will tell you the proper way to mount a furnace horizontally and how to properly vent the furnace (and drain condensate if it is a high efficiency model).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Make sure on the air conditioning part that the system is properly evacuated and that all air and moisture is taken out. Use a filter-dryer in the liquid line"

Can you please describe the procedure on the above comment.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

When any air conditioning system is installed, a proper vacuum must be pulled on it prior to putting into service. Typically this is done to at least 500 microns using a micron guage. The filter drier goes in the liquid line.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Here is an example of a liquid line filter drier which is brazed into the liquid line side of the system near the outside condenser.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.