airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Bill. I have a Heat pump that will not shut off when it

Customer Question

Customer: Bill. I have a Heat pump that will not shut off when it reaches set temp
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I lower the desired temp, the unit will shut off. Then when it needs to get to the new temp it does the same thing. I.E, Its set to 68 degrees. I lower the temp to 67, it shuts down then starts running again. If you want make and model give me a minute
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like a thermostat issue rather than an issue with the heat pump if raising and lowering numbers makes it work.

If thermostat has batteries, start by replacing batteries. If you want to do some troubleshooting. Remove thermostat wires and touch the red to G and see if blower runs. Then red to Y and see if compressor comes on.If they do, then issue is in thermostat.Let me know model and I will see if there is any calibration or reset for the thermostat.