HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

American Standard Freedom 90 furnace keeps shutting down.

Customer Question

Customer: American Standard Freedom 90 furnace keeps shutting down. The red light is flashing three times in a row and then pausing and three flashes, etc. The cooling fan in the unit is overheating -- getting very hot. Is the fan no good? Needs replacement? Or is there possibly some other reason it's getting hot, overworked, and the unit is shutting down?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else can I tell you?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. I have a guy coming in the morning for further diagnosis and to swap out the fan for a new one. but I just want to make sure there isn't something else causing the fan to overheat, and then we end up putting in a new one, and it likewise gets burned out.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Hello that is a pressure switch code, Remove both inspection panels. You will see a push switch where the top of the bottom cover rests on the furnace frame. Hold this button and see what happens. If the small fan in the top section runs and then shuts off you can bypass the sensor to rule out the ignition and gas issues. The sensor is round with two small tubes going to it. There is one wire going to the top and two wires joined together going to the bottom. You will need a test lead or a short piece of wire to do this troubleshooting. Put the bottom cover on so the push switch is activated. Remove the two sets of wires from the pressure sensor. Once the small fan is running joint the two sets of wires with the test lead or electrical wire. Look in the little window at the burner box and see if it glows orange (this means your ignition is working) the gas should light and burn blue and give you heat. When the house gets to temperature remove the test lead as this only works once (the furnace will not light with the wire joined - the small fan has to run with the wires separated before the startup sequence will work). The hoses going to the pressure switch will need to be cleaned out to get the furnace working properly but at least you can do it. You may also need to remove the pressure switch to look in it to see if the passageway is blocked. If there is no blockage in the hoses or passageway the switch itself may be defective.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks