Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Cleaned the filters, cleaned the flame sensor, hear a gh

Customer Question

Cleaned the filters, cleaned the flame sensor, hear a high pitched squealing sound and furnace seems to struggle to get house up to temperature. Could it be the fan belt is misaligned?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation

Unless this is a really old unit the blower would be direct drive so no belt. But the blower could have a failed bearing. Sound could also be coming from the small draft inducer fan on the exhaust. If it's the inducer that's making the noise you need to replace it ASAP since an inducer failure would shut down the furnace. If the noise is a not very loud sort of whistle then this could be due to a gas pressure issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unit is a Lennox elite, installed August 2005. Whistle seems to come from area with burners. Inducer is right above, so hard to pin point exactly. Any test I can run to isolate sound source?
Inducer switch out something a pro should handle, or can be a DYI?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Inducer replacement is best left to a pro as is adjusting/dealing with a gas pressure problem. No test for this other than listening. A trained ear would be better able to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I went to check thermostat and verify burners are still running. Whistle has gone to a very low volume. Safe to assume If it was a blower bearing or inducer problems the pitch would remain constant?
If the sound is related to gas pressure issue, still contact a pro to check that all is ok?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If it was a fan bearing in the inducer it might quiet down after the furnace get hot. Given the time of year I'd have a pro check this out while it's still running rather than wait until it shuts down and you have no heat.