Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My Taco zone valve will not operate on auto. Can I leave it

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. My Taco zone valve will not operate on auto. Can I leave it on open?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2 zone system, both zones operate on Taco valves. One will not let the water circulate to its zone when the Taco is on auto. Can I leave that Taco Valve on open for a few days until I get a new valve?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes,
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation

You can open it as a temporary measure but opening it manually will usually engage the end switch in the valve head which will turn the boiler/burner on so the hat for that zone could run wild if you leave it open all the time. Replacing the head (most of the time you don't have to replace the entire valve) is the best option if the valve isn't responding to a call for heat and the thermostat and thermostat wiring for that zone is functioning properly.