Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My bard wall unit is putting out luck warm air not hot..

Customer Question

my bard wall unit is putting out luck warm air not hot.. why?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Most likely we have a limit or pressure switch open that is preventing burners from lighting. Can you do some troubleshooting and do you have a multi meter?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Looking closer at manual looks like if a limit or pressure switch is open, we should not get any heat. You may have a gas pressure issue here.Are you on propane or natural gas and if propane is tank got plenty of propane in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i don't, but if you can tell me what to check i can pass it on to my electrician.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
natural gas
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK our first step is going to be to see if the burners are on and if so if flame looks weak. If weak, we will need to check gas pressure.An electrician will not have this.You need a heating contractor .

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Have him check to see if burners are coming on and Observe the main burners in operation. The flame should be mostly “blue” with possibly a little orange (not yellow) at the tips of the flame. The flames should be in the center of the heat exchanger tubes and not impinging on the heat exchanger surfaces themselves. Observe the fire until the blower starts (there is a normal delay period until the heat exchanger warms up). There should be no change in the size or shape of the flame. If there is any wavering or blowing of the flame on blower start-up, it is an indication of a possible leak in the heat exchanger.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Below is the normal sequence of operation we want to have him observe:On a call for heat from the thermostat, the induced draft blower is energized. Once sufficient draft is established, the pressure switch contacts close and the ignition system is energized. The direct spark ignitor will be energized allowing gas to flow. At the same time the main valve is energized, a 30 second blower delay timer is activated. After this delay, the heating speed blower relay energizes. The blower will begin operating and remain in operation until the set delay time after the call for heat has been satisfied. (See Table 15 for selectable blower off time delays.) This timing sequence guarantees blower on, blower off operation. This unit is equipped with a flame rollout switch which is wired in series with the control circuit. This is a manual reset switch and is used for the purpose of preventing possible fire hazard in the event of a system malfunction. If this switch has opened the control circuit, there could be a possible system malfunction. Some of the conditions that might cause a rollout to occur are blockage or sooting of primary heat exchanger, overfiring of furnace due to improper main burner orifices or incorrect manifold pressure, insufficient combustion air, or installation deficiencies with respect to return air duct design or sizing

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets see what he finds and we will go from here.