Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a central gas heating system. Will not go on when

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a central gas heating system. Will not go on when thermostat temp hits the set temp some times I can make it go before by upping the set temp; but does not stay on long enough to reach the set temp. Furnace seem to run ok when started. clear blue flames Batteries in thermostat is new. Now it won't startup even after upping the temp setting. Thermostat problem or furnace problem? Was working fine 2 weeks ago. The inside of furnace is clean (removed the door panels).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: resetting the thermostat appears to make system work sometimes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: details such as?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like probably a thermostat problem. Try this; shut the power off to the furnace then connect the leads on the thermostat R & W terminals together and turn the power back on. If the furnace behaves normally and doesn't shut off before the house heats up then it's likely a thermostat problem.