Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I am getting a sens error on my carrier infinity system. How

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Brown - I am getting a sens error on my carrier infinity system. How to fix?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Senss error appears at the top left of my infinity control. The control also gives me a system malfunction error. When this happens it seems that my
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have a 4 ton unit down stairs
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

Can you finish your last sentence for me please? "When this happens it seems that my...." Also, can you give me the model number of your Infinity equipment please? (furnace or air handler and outdoor unit)

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Product #: 38YD8048311, Model #38YD8048310, Serial #2904F35542 (this is the info for my 4 ton downstairs carrier infinity unity). I also have a 2 ton unit for upstairs. On the donwstairs control panel / thermometer, I keep getting a sens error in the top left corner and a system malfunction error in the middle of the display. When this happens, the downstairs unit seems to stop heating/cooling properly and the unit runs continuously. I have been able to reset the unit by flipping the outside breakers going to the outside condensors and flipping the inside breakers killing the powers to both air handlers and the control panels. I just did this a few minutes ago and the downstairs unit is heating again, however, it is heating on auxilary heat. I have been able to do this a couple of times in the last 45 days, but obviously, this does not fix the problem.

The most likely cause of this is the outdoor air sensor on your outdoor unit. It could be oxidized wire connections in that sensor circuit so you should check that. I know the sensor(s) for the outdoor unit are available online, it will take some searching though. I believe the outdoor unit sensors (2) come as a set and both need replaced for that particular model. I'm going by memory though so I may be mistaken. I'll have more info on the sensor(s) soon.

Thanks,

Brian

Click Here for the thermistor assembly. The part number is ***** 319182-701. This part is getting really hard to find! If you replace this assembly and you still get the alarm occasionally then chances are good your outdoor unit control board is at issue.

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian