Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Jotul F55 stove. It was installed roughly 6 months

Customer Question

I have a Jotul F55 wood stove. It was installed roughly 6 months ago before winter set in. When we first "seasoned" the stove, it burned great; very warm - thermostat hit 83F.
However, now that we are in the winter season, I am not impressed at all with this purchase. First, we are not getting adequate heat from this stove - we are heating a 1600 sq ft home. We are lucky to have temps hit 71F on our thermostats. I have adjusted the air control valve every which way with little to no positive results.
Also, we are not getting adequate burn times. Even with the air control valve on minimum, we are lucky to achieve 6 hours burn time - we are using 1 yr old seasoned ash - cut is roughly 16" length and roughly 9" width at widest point (triangle cuts).
We have not been able to get through a 7 hour night without having "bare" coals left over in the morning, essentially having to rebuild the fire before we leave to only come home to the same issue.
We are curious what we can do to increase our heat output and achieve the marketed burn time?
Thank you
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Are you using dry well seasoned wood?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are using primarily ash, with some oak, that has been seasoned for roughly one year. All the wood/ash we are using is from trees that were knocked down from Sandy 5-6 yrs ago.
It was split, stacked and covered.

Try first to just mix a little pallet wood in the mix a little not much at all and see if that makes any difference and let me know.