Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Recently the boiler in our house stopped working properly.

Customer Question

Recently the boiler in our house stopped working properly. It was about forty years old and we decided the best decision was to replace it. The old boiler was 100,000btu, and when double checking the total amount of baseboard in the house w figured that we needed 85-90,000 for proper functionality. The contractor we hired (who has and impeccable reputation) brought a Burnham series 3 140,000/117,000 to the house and plans to hook it up tomorrow. He told me that this was the best option as there isn't another model that would suit our needs and the next model down would be insufficient. (I believe he said it was only 77,000 btu) Should I be concerned that this unit is actually too big and might short cycle? Again, I have no reason to question his integrity and the price didn't change, just seemed odd to be replacing the boiler we had with one that I would certainly feel is oversized
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 11 months ago.

Hi i am dan I can help you with this. First whenever you change your heating or cooling system there should be a building heat loss calculation to determine the size boiler you need based on the windows doors insulation roof etc.. Next is it an oil boiler or gas boiler. If oil what size nozzle is he going to put in it and how many ft of baseboard do you have?