BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Call igniter glows gas valve kicks on gas ignites but does

Customer Question

Customer: Call for heat igniter glows gas valve kicks on gas ignites but does not make it to all of the tubes and does not make it to the flame sensor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trane unit XR90 shows 2 flashes for lockout I have changed the flame sensor because that is what I have found to fail most of the time. I watch it from the small glass window everything seems to work up to the burners only seem to make it half way down the tube and does not reach the flame sensors sometimes I can get it to work on the third try
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I am
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.

Hello, the flame sensor cannot work unless flame gets to it...so our issue is the flame pattern. Your burner wings/crossover is partially plugged and needs to be cleaned out. There are small grooves in the sides of the burners that spread the flame burner to burner.

The best thing is to remove all burners and clean and reinstall.