airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is that my Trane forced

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. my name is ***** ***** and my issue is that my Trane forced Air Furnace appears to have a seizure disorder. Or perhaps it is experiencing intermittent demon-possession? The symptoms are that it will function fine for several hours, sometimes days, and then without warning, shift to blowing cold air. It appears to get stuck in some sort of fan only mode. We have been unable to turn the system off via the inside thermostat when it is seized up like this, but we have found that if we go outside and turn off the power for the unit at the outside breaker, the system/fan will turn off. If we let the poor old thing rest for a while after the seizure, and then turn the power to the unit back on, (with the thermostat set to heat indoors), the system will blow heat for several hours again. Eventually, it will have another seizure (or demon posession?) and start blowing cold air again. We have had 2 service calls from the company that maintains our system, and both techs could not figure out what was going wrong. One technician cleaned the flame sensor which did nothing to resolve our problems, The other technician only suggested more service calls the next time it seized. We are about to call a new company for service, but thought it would be good to try and have some idea rom someone knowledgable about what is going wrong since the technicians appear rather ignorant. Its an old unit Trane model YCC060f1mobf.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all I know to describe. We thought maybe it was a funky thermostat and replaced it, but it didnt fix anything
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

They are probably going to have to get there while the unit is acting up to find the problem. It may be shutting off on a high temp limit or pressure switch opening. Next time it fails, before turning power off and back on (THis resets the computer board), look and see if we get a flashing error light on control board in furnace that might indicate what failed.